Sunday, March 10, 2013

Unplugged.

I was inspired by this post from Taza about "unplugging" for a bit.  I wanted to actually be able to enjoy and live more minutes of my life.  (And talk about timing, our church was fasting from social media for the week for Lent.  Win win.)  I wouldn't consider myself a huge social media addict, but the fact of the matter is I'm addicted to Instagram.  There I said it...that's the first step, right?

Instagram is by far my favorite social medium, and I get sucked in so quickly that I lose 15 minutes of my day more often than I'd like to admit.  So, my challenge was to give it up, cold turkey.  And do you know what?  It was pretty nice.  (And it wasn't even hard!)  I felt like I had more time, I was able to enjoy extra moments with the hubby and I didn't have anyone else's life to judge mine against.  I don't think Instagram (or any social media for that matter) is bad, but I do feel like it lets us portray this glamorous "life" that we would like others to think we have when in fact we don't.  Not many people post those rotten moments in life, but when they do, those filters make it seem better than it actually is, right?

I'm not writing this saying that I am giving up Instagram for good, but I do feel less tied to it now.  I don't have to check it all the time to see every picture on my feed.  It's ok if I miss a day, and I'm really not missing anything life changing.

That's my take away from this little activity.  What's your thoughts on social media addiction?  Are you addicted or couldn't care less?

quote via here

No comments: